The Tipping Point: Why We Watch American Idol (Step 5)
I love watching American Idol.
It’s obvious if you sneak a peek into my iTunes playlist. I’ve got Season 7 David Archuleta’s ethereal Imagine and Season 8′s Matt Giraud’s Funny Valentine mixed in with Josh Wilson’s Savior, Please and Third Day’s Surrendering.
I get really into it during the last few weeks leading up to the finale. I wait for the voting lines to open at the end of the show, and I get busy.
The show’s formulaic, but there’s an element of AI I never get tired of. I call it The Tipping Point.
You never know if a contestant will face TTP. Not everyone gets that far. A person arrives at TTP, only if he can push past a series of challenges.
If successful, a person will go from being an average singer to becoming an artist.
Your Spiritual Tipping Point
Amusingly enough, I started noticing that some of the feedback from AI judges about musical performance also applies to cultivating a life God desires.
Do you find similar challenges in your faith walk, behind these AI-inspired commentary?
1. Identity Confusion. “What kind of artist do you want to be?”
– What kind of life do I want to be living?
2. Lack of Confidence. “If you’d just start to believing in yourself…”
– What would I do differently, if I was truly believed that nothing is impossible for God?
3. Bad “Song” Choices. “It’s doesn’t match your style or your voice.”
– What choices bring me closer to expressing how God’s made me?
4. Too Karaoke. “Too Safe. Robotic.”
– How can I relate to others more openly and deeply, rather than stay safe and robotic?
5. Copycat. “Take a risk. Make it your own.”
– I tend to compare myself with others, when I’m afraid to fail. What could I dream up, if I didn’t worry what others thought?
We may not have our sights set on a recording contract, but we can all relate to being on the journey to find our Spiritual Tipping Point.
Spiritual Tipping Point.
It’s the place where the momentum for God’s change in our lives becomes unstoppable.
If we push through the challenges of holding back, we go from living an average religious lifestyle– to surrendering to the artistry of God’s original design.
We’ll find our voices and sing new songs in a way that no else can.
What challenges are you stepping through, to reach your spiritual tipping point?
Share how you’ve recently overcome a challenge, to reach a spiritual tipping point.
“Let us also lay aside every encumbrance
and the sin which so easily entangles us (disbelief),
and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us…”
* THURS 4/15 *
It’s time for a Faith Barista Jam!
– Which means I’ll be putting a
call out for you to blog with me!
The topic is a lot of fun & life
changing, too! Seriously.
Don’t miss it!
* I NEED YOUR VOTE! *
I’m sharing a big spiritual tipping point in my life– And entering it in a contest next week.
I’m gonna need your help, since the entry with the most votes wins! Will you help me get out the vote? Thanks, everyone!
Be sure to catch the previous posts on the series Say Yes To Joy: Step 1: After The Rain: Say Yes To Joy Step 2: A Trip For Ice Cream: What Do You Really Want Step 3: Risky Business: Changing Negative Character Traits Step 4: 10 Ways To Make Rest One Ambition
[ This is an original Faith Barista post, where Bonnie Gray serves up shots of faith for everyday life. ]